Skip to main content

We Trust, so We Live.


 I’m thinking about what trust is. Is it the dictionary definition – firm belief in the truth, reliability or belief in someone or something? Both are equally as important. Trust in people is what makes this world run and trust in concepts and ideals of love, humankind and God is what keeps our spirits alive.
I find it ironic that we so blindly and unconsciously put our lives in the hands of others – every day, every moment without even realizing it. – Probably one of the ultimate forms of trust.
Trusting the bus driver to safely transport us to our destination or trusting the pilot to navigate a safe take-off and landing. With our monetary affairs – the bank as an institution; and the people who work at it. How we close our eyes and call the ambulance or the police. Or how we willingly accept and trust the doctor’s advice, giving our hope and lives into her hands – the hands of healing and those of God.
But why do we think so much when it comes to more conscious acts of trust? Is my partner cheating? Why do we find it so difficult to leave our house in charge of the maid? Are they not in more close contact with us than some stranger whose name we don’t know? Thus is churned the complex and ever-growing web of human relations bound by the silver thread of trust. So long as there is a gleam in that thread, all has not been lost. There is still hope for us.
I imagine how impossible life would be to live if we were to be suspicious of every person who crossed our path. I trust my teacher to impart good knowledge to me, the shopkeeper to give me unadulterated goods and the security guard to keep my house safe at night. I trust people to not harm me when I go outside. I treat people with kindness in the hope and belief that someday, sometime – another might do the same for me.
Trust is my anchor. It keeps me grounded on mankind and is the lighthouse which shines light on a brighter ; a better future. – a future in which technology will overrule us, machines might be inseparable ( as they already are, to an extent) – but trust will sustain us. With hope and love. People will not give up as easily on each other in the trust that there is still something worthwhile in them, something worth loving, worth saving. One can dream. They do come true.
We live in the hope of better days. We open our eyes in the morning, wishing it to be a good day. We close our eyes in the trust that we’ll open them once again when tomorrow arrives and breathe in the scent of a new morning, a new chance. 

We live to trust.

There is something which ignites my heart in the fieriest way possible, when in the midst of night or the break of day, somebody looks into my eyes and confides in me. When somebody sends across a message, with which my screen lights up, assuring me that I’m their confidante. Some more comfort to offer, some more learning to do and some more growth to embrace. It makes me feel as if I’m giving back in some measure.
What a beautiful emotion – Trust. I’m glad to be alive in a world where its embers still glow. And I hope they only grow brighter.
Being entrusted with responsibility, a friend’s past or current obsession – a secret which might feel silly afterwards but is yours to safekeep for the time being – one of the most satisfying and contented feelings I’ll ever get. Because I believe trust comes with love. It is a part of love that forms over time. Aren’t we so lucky to be alive? Not just exist but also have a mind and heart to experience such beautiful emotions?

I feel those who have at least one person to whom they can pour out anything and everything to are truly blessed. I do have people whom I love with all my heart but I don’t think I’ve quite reached the stage where I can tell them anything. I don’t know whether I ever will. But I hope I get close to that.
Trust and love are impeccably intertwined. Can you really love a person without trusting them? Without trusting they’ll listen to you and hold you close? Can you really trust a person you don’t love? I don’t think so.
But then come those times where you’re at a bar or in a park and life gets to you to such an extent that you wordlessly kiss a stranger and don’t look into their eyes as you spill that endless sea of burdens- because you know you’ll not be judged. – Or even if you are, chances are that you will never meet them again. Why is it so easy at times, to trust those whom you don’t know – subconsciously and consciously and so very difficult to trust those who are close to your heart? It doesn’t happen all the time, but then again, it does. Is it another mystery of being human? Of wearing our hearts on our sleeves and jealously guarding it as well? So many questions but few people to answer them. And ever lesser time. Writing helps. My personal and eternal confidante. :)
Though I don’t deem writing to be something without which I couldn’t live everyday, I don’t think I’d be able to live the rest of my life without writing. I trust it to hold my deepest secrets – most of which I wouldn’t say out loud.
I write about trust but with it, comes showing vulnerability. And I feel afraid, at times. I’m afraid to love and trust, only for me to let my heart bleed a little more.
I’m trying, though. I guess a little more effort wouldn’t hurt. After all, vulnerability is what connects one human to another. And let’s face it, we’re all going to do it all over again, anyway. Because it can bring both happiness and hurt. And it’ll be worth it with the right people.
When I listen to others with an open ear and a ready heart, I want to be willing enough to open up mine – if not always –then at least, when I need it. Self-love, self-love. I need to trust. I need others to trust me.
Because that is what kindles our world. Stoke the fire often, with a little opening up now and then and hardships will be easier to bear. Life will be lighter, and happier. You’re still young.

“We are, we are, we are
Young and wild and free.”
                                                             So What : BTS


So trust. The world won’t stumble. It’ll become stronger.
You will become stronger. It will help you grow. It will help you love yourself.
Trust yourself – your mind, your heart and most importantly, your instinct. It’ll guide you.
And trust others.
Many will value it.
They might trade their stories with you and this thread will gleam for longer.
So trust.
Trust with the trust that it’ll be guarded and treasured.
Breathe. And love. Don’t be afraid. You’re going to be just fine.


We trust, so we live.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Diaries: BANDHAVGARH! #2 The Journey To An Exotic Forest!

The Diwali vacations were round the corner and I was excited to go on holiday! Though, our school spared not even a week for us to thoroughly enjoy ourselves, we children (and teachers) were still looking forward to this much-needed break from varying degrees of stress in our lives. My family was in the process of finalising a holiday destination and were debating upon whether we should go to Delhi. I; for one, was thrilled! I had been wanting to visit the capital for some time now, so when the topic of vacationing arose, I was the first to pipe up and suggest Delhi. Seeing the various, stunning monuments would have been enjoyable as well as an excellent learning experience! However, much to my disappointment, we collectively agreed to the cancellation due to the terrible pollution (which can already be observed and felt), but which would increase during Diwali. My father told us that he'd booked tickets for our stay in Jabalpur and Bandhavgarh. I'll admit it: when I first h

Colour.

Colour breathes joy and life into every creation, whether ancient or modern. Skin tones progress from palest white and dusky wheat to darkest ebony. In the words of Rupi Kaur – ‘It is a blessing to be The colour of the Earth How often must Flowers confuse me for Home.’ A prism splits light into all of its magnificence. Stained glass windows in high-ceilinged churches make light dance across the polished wooden floor. The sun sets over the horizon and plunges within cerulean seas and oceans. Left in its wake are splashes of colour; crimson, orange and golden, skipping across the waves, cruising along the blue surf. Inky stains bleed across the sky as twilight approaches. The advent of velvety indigo, purple and black symbolize them regaining their nightly territory and thus ensues a clash of colour- a real-life watercolour over the ocean. Night tiptoes stealthily and the crescent moon glides, her creamy gossamer gown trailing and dipping into the water. It has floate

A Salute To Paralympians All Across The Globe!

Hey readers!! Apologies for not posting a single piece of writing  for such a long time! But today, I'm back with something which will make you ponder and spark a train of thought in your minds. India quivered with joy when "Thangavelu wins first gold medal at Summer Paralympics, 2016" was the blaring headline on every single news channel. With a contingent of 19 athletes, the largest delegation our country has ever sent to a Paralympic event, expectations of improving India's Paralympic medal tally had been roused. Their superb display of talent certainly outdid everybody's expectations! Citizens from all around the world go on a rave when the Olympics draws nearer, and it is fitting too; the prestigious event is hosted only once every 4 years! But how many of us; truly know and eagerly follow the proceedings of the event, equally as important as its predecessor, and which follows soon after it draws to a close? We know of Sindhu, Malik and Dipa Karmakar